Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Student Council Elections


Well I ran for Student Council again this year. I did run last year, but I lost. Luckily, I did get second place in that election and since the secretary position was untaken, I took that position. So naturally, I ran again this year.

My main slogan last year was, "Wake up to a cup of JOE!", so this year, I went with the same idea - "Are you ready for your second cup of JOE?". For the most part, I think the campaign idea was good, and it was constantly a source of laughter and applause when I would yell to people in the hall my slogan.

I was running against three other candidates this year, Scott Navert, Carey, and Juan Bravo-Iniglez. All three of us had to get up in front of the Freshmen Class and do a pre-prepared speech for them. Scott, Carey, and Juan all had good speeches, but I don't think any of them had quite the humor mine did. My opening line - "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!" Insert solid minute of laughter from the freshmen here. (If you don't get it, it's from The Office.)

With all of my humor and campaigning, I still didn't make it past the preliminary votes, and Juan and Scott ended up being the final candidates for president, and later, Juan won. Student Council Elections can be kind of unpredictable - I had no idea I would have any real competition from Juan. I was actually pretty confident.

Oh well. I suppose that I have enough on my plate right now as it is, with finals coming up and everything. But next year... (Vote for Joe!)

No comments: