Saturday, December 8, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness



I found myself in a suburbia like this one this last Saturday. My friend Richie had a birthday party and took us all out to Fast Lanes, a local go-kart racing arena. I had to go to my hockey game first, though.

I'm not proud of myself, but I did virtually nothing that morning. I resolved earlier to do some homework, but I realistically only did a bit of what was assigned. I only did what was easy. Oh well, that happens.

After hanging around lazily, I got off my ass and got ready for my hockey game. We beat Timberline JV 2-1 and I played a great game. Afterwards, I showered and head over to Fast Lanes. A half-hour of lousy directions later, I was there to race.

Fast Lanes is really fun and I suggest anybody goes there. Unfortunately, it does seem to rely mostly on luck. They put you in random cars. Some don't turn well. Some have low speed caps. Some have no speed cap and give you too much speed. But you always have fun driving your ridiculous little car through the track over and over again.

After four races (I won one, no matter what the paper said) we went to Richie's house. Soon after we left and walked around his neighborhood, looking for ding-dong ditch victims. The joy of it. Ding-dong! *run for your life*. I had to ring most of the doorbells, and my friends came up with an idea.

They found a house with people awake in it and gave me 5$. I had to improvise the rest. I bravely walked up to the doorway and knocked on the door softly. I felt my adrenaline rush as a man in his early thirties came to the doorway. It was almost midnight.

"Hi." He said to me. He seemed surprised.

"Hi. I'm from the Random Acts of Kindness Association. And you just got 5$ for opening the door. Thank you."

He looked at me incredulously, trying to decide whether to be grateful or upset at this hour. He stuttered, "Dude, th-", but he cut off as I walked away calmly, shouting back to him, "Pass it on!"

I was done ding-dong ditching after that.

There actually is a Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.

1 comment:

Michael Moriarty said...

Joe, i always enjoy reading your little tid bits. They leave me frequently wanting to give you advice on life. But i will refrain, except on this note. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation are cool; no matter who you are. SO get it right!
keep writing bro!!