Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Different Types of Blogs


You know, I've been thinking about the nature of my blog, and the nature of other blogs, and how mine fits into it. Or how I fit as a blogger. I've arrived at a few conclusions - mainly that there are essentially three different types of blogs.

Type 1 - Completed.

These are the blogs that you occasionally see and try to go back to, but find nothing new. This means that the blogger has probably moved on and left it to die. These are like novels, and if you look closely, you can find some really good gems. Of course, none of these classifications ensures quality, but I've found that these can be quite good. Take The Musings And General Ponderings of Master Seth. This was really a great blog because of it's content, and it remains so. Seth wrote in this sort of Homeric style and had interesting things to write about. But he won't be updating it anytime soon, I think. But it's a great collection of stories, still.

Type 2 - Semi-Regular

These are the blogs that are updated less than twelve or so times a month. Usually, these ensure better quality, seeing as the author is given more time to write better posts. The best example of this blog would be Switch 2 Plan B. I personally know the author, and he is a great speaker and writer as far as I know him. Like I said, these can be very good quality due to time over post distribution, and there definitely a lot of great blogs in this category.

Type 3 - Regular

This is the sort of blog that are updated more than twelve or so times a month. These can be good, and if nothing else, a steady stream of new material usually flows from the author. The perfect example, I think, would be none other than yours truly, Alcatraz014. My frequency's gone down, but my quality, I think has probably gone up (or at least according to the poll I put up). You have to be careful with these ones though. They can be more filler than good stuff, and you may find yourself looking for stories and finding Youtube videos (I'm guilty of that a few times).

There's one other distinction that you can make in blogs, and that is it's audience. If you ever take a look at the Blogs of Note on blogspot, you'll probably notice that most of them seem to have an exclusive audience. Christians, horse owners, artists, musicians, and medical workers (I've even seen a Santa blog) seem to be very common niches. I think my audience may pertain mostly to high school students such as myself, but I think that most people could read of my adventures and not be bored to tears or have no idea what I'm talking about. But then again, I'm not even sure I have an audience. It should be noted that I have more than one blog, but they're all Type 1 except my Mobile blog. Which doesn't count.

2 comments:

Calvin C. said...

Co-author blogs.

You have to invite me to be an author!

Chumich said...

Type 1....