Friday, November 16, 2007

The Two Backpacks



This past couple of weeks, I have taken up the habit of carrying around two backpacks instead of one. This is just one example of my randomness, as the second one serves no real purpose for me throughout the school day. The blue one on my right contains all my schoolwork. The green one on my left is filled to the brim with sheetmusic and music binders. Now, of course, I don't actually need to carry the green one around all day; I do anyway, though.

Why?

Because at least five times on any day, I get asked the same question. "Why do you have two backpacks?" I feel great joy in hearing this question, and have come up with several answers to it. So, you might ask, why ARE you carrying two backpacks?

1. (Truthful) Me: "This one's for music, and this one's for school."
Them: "But why do you need to carry music around all day?"
Me: "I don't."
Them: "..."
Me: *exit quietly.*

2. Me: "This is Pride, *pointing too blue pack* and this is Joy. *point to green pack.*"
Them: "You named your backpacks?"
Me: "Yes." *exit quietly*

3. Me: "Wait, I've been carrying two backpacks around? What have I been thinking! Oh, all the wasted time, all the wasted work!" *exit quietly*

4. Me: "This one's got a survival kit and a water bottle in it."
Them: "You need that to go through the school day?"
Me: "Yes."
Them: "..."
Me: *exit quietly*

5. (My favorite) Them: "why do you carry those two backpacks around?"
Me: "So people will ask me that question."
Them: "..."
Me: *exit quietly*

All of these answers elicited confused expressions on the askers' faces, and it brings me great entertainment to watch it them. The real reason I started carrying the second backpack was because I had piano practice one day and I knew I wouldn't have enough time to stop by my home. So I packed my music in a backpack and headed off to school. The next day I found myself without the second backpack, and a kid asked me why I didn't have it. He seemed depressed. He said, "Geez, that fun guy stopped carrying his second backpack around. There's nothing to look forward to anymore; nothing to live for!"

Upon seeing his distraught reaction, I immediately took my own action and showed up the next morning with both backpacks slung over opposite shoulders. And so what if my back's sore by the end of the day from carrying twice the usual weight? It's deifinitely worth it to see people's various and comic reactions to them!


"Two heads are better than one." - Among other places, my 'Bracelet Heir' post.

No comments: