Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Blame Game


I have, over the years, observed a shortcut to getting out of trouble that is nearly effortless and only requires some creativity. It seems wrong or sinful, but for the life of me, I can't see why. I'm certain I'm not the first, but I find the easiest way to get out of something is simply to blame it on something or someone untouchable.

Let me give you an example. You're late to class (again), and you realize that this will be the tardy that sends you to Saturday School. You don't have time for Saturday school of course. So here's what you say: "Sorry I'm late. The principal was holding me up."

You see why this works so well? Because is your teacher actually going to get mad at your principal or verify that information? I doubt it. There are thousands of variations on this, and they all essentially do one thing: get you out of trouble and place blame on a distant authority figure. The key is knowing who they won't get mad at and who they won't verify their information with.

And yet it can't be this easy without being sinful, can it? The answer depends on how you look at something. If you value honesty alot, than this will probably be uncomfortable for you to do, and you may not want to try. But for someone who values peace more, this may work well for them. Because it really gets rid of problems. The only flaw is that it's deceitful.

In the end, whether or not to blame an unfinished English assignment on your band director or God knows who is a personal decision. And an interesting decision to make as well.

No comments: