Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Battle School



I hope anyone who reads this has read Ender's Game, because it's the only way you'll get this joke.

Funny thing that happened today. The first couple of periods, I was swamped, desperately trying to do unfinished work. And throughout the whole first half of the day, I could really sympathize with Ender. I felt like I was being pushed to my limits. I felt like it was driving me insane. (If you don't know about Ender's Game, I suggest highly that you read it. It is a fantastic sci-fi novel by Orson Scott Card.)

It really did get to me. I was angry at just about everyone and everything for a while, but I was still able to finish my work and get the grades I needed. And funnier still is that as the day went on, I ended up with just what I wanted. A break. I came home with no homework of any kind. No worries. Was this heaven?

Be careful what you wish for.

I found myself puzzled and dysfunctional for the rest of the day. Now that I finally had a "day off", I had become absentminded, and to some extent, unhappy. When I went to hockey practice today, I played horribly. I have done nothing noteworthy today. But tonight, I had a revelation:

I have to accomplish something in a day.
If I don't, I won't be happy.

This is quite unfortunate, but true. And upon having this revelation, I realize that I now know my own stride on the path of life. And knowing what I can do in a day will help me decide which way to go. But the path forks off in many directions. Which way to go?

At any rate, I treated today as something it's not; a weekend. It feels like a weekend to me in all ways. But the real reasoning behind this is that today's Tuesday. So far I have had a horrible week. But if today is the last day of the weekend, I'm given a clean slate. A chance for a good week. A week where I'm not Ender, but not a dysfunctional slob either. Because I can't live like either. So I have but the narrow path to walk down. But I'll make sure to keep moving forward.





"Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes."-Orson Scott Card

No comments: