Monday, October 29, 2007

Alcatraz014

I hope that you've heard the screenname alcatraz014 before. Because that's me. I've signed up to several dozen sites and emails all using this screenname; hoping someone would see it and remember. Futile hopes of course. The World Wide Web is a wonderful thing, but it is much too big for something as simple as a distinctive, repeating screenname to actually stand out. So how about a blog?

We'll see.

As for me myself, I plan to stand out in the real world as well. But this is easier said than done, I use the word 'plan' loosely. All I know is my goals, but not the road leading to it. And this blog is another step, and while I know that it's miniscule, it all adds up. I've got musical talent, I've got good grades, I've got athleticism. And I thought that would be enough.

But still, life, especially high school, is overwhelming sometimes, and I find it difficult to keep up. Just this weekend, I was busy for most of Saturday and while I spent all of Sunday trying to finish my homework, I just couldn't do it. Luckily, I had a couple of good friends as a safety net.

This will sound old, but life isn't fair. School, in a normal year, takes up approximately a third of a teenager's waking hours. But they have to go and assign homework on top of this! After scrambling to study for tests and ace exams throughout the week, we come home only to do the same. There's nothing I can do, save grumble on a blog.

Of course, there's one other thing I can do. They're trying to break me, push me, find my limits. The only way I can ever make them happy is to be better than they ever expected. This will never be easy, but I know that in the long run, it will be worth it.

Back in eighth grade, my teacher told me not to screw up, and she repeated it in many ways and forms throughout the year. "It's only four short years." I've had less than a semester and it feels like a lifetime.

Who said life was fair?

No comments: